Sunday, June 12, 2011

F Words Are Fun Words: Fish, Fiestas, Friends, Food

Fish

My girl and purveyor of wisdom, Trish J, was sweet enough to mention me in her latest food-themed post! Her mouthwatering pictures really got me hankering for some good fish (being the good little penguin I am). Then, I realized I've been meaning to blabber about some recent seafood meals anyway. You read my mind, Trish.


Last Friday, I finally had the pleasure of dining at Astoria seafood staple Taverna Kyclades, courtesy of my Auntie. Scratch another item off of my culinary to-do list! After passing the perpetually poppin' restaurant literally twice a day for four years of my life and also hearing tons of good things, my expectations were high.

I have to say, the food didn't disappoint. Everything was plentiful, super fresh, delicious and no-frills. Their simple preparations really let the quality of the fish shine through. I had grilled calamari and stole chunks of red snapper, broiled sole and stuffed sole from my meal mates. Yum! Plus, we happened to be fortunate enough to dine curbside on a beautiful evening. Seafood is one food that I especially associate with warm weather - I think outdoor dining and grilled seafood were meant to be. I wish there were more neighborhood seafood places of this caliber...

Is it me or is an affordable, quality seafood experience a rarity in New York? Having spent many summer vacations along the New England coast, I find myself longing for the abundant seafood shacks. Isn't it such a shame that a city whose establishment rested on the laurels of its harbor now has so few local sources for fish? The destructive powers of people are great, huh? I long for the day when we people find a way to keep up with our own destructiveness. Then, there will once again be healthy fisheries in New York's waterways and I can pig out!


Speaking of seafood and pigging out, that is just what I did with some Ethiopian shrimp tebsi this past Friday. Ethiopian cuisine is admittedly not something I'm very familiar with. In fact, this was only my second shot at it. So far, I've enjoyed it, but I can't say I'm exactly comfortable with some of the sour notes in the flavor profile yet. It's growing on me, though.

The communal manner in which the food is served on a giant platter is pretty fabulous. I know that's a bit of culture shock for many of us westerners. Unlike my friend, the aforementioned Trish J (who is a bit of a germophobe), I didn't have much trouble adjusting to eating with my hands off of one big plate. A communal plate seems natural if you're with loved ones and perfect for building bonds over the meal. Not to mention fewer dishes! Amen!


Fiestas

I know this isn't a new revelation, but I must say it just isn't a party without some kind of good food.

Celebrating my friend's birthday (with the Ethiopian food) and attending a Yelp Elite Event this past week have really brought that point home to me. While the very casual dinner we had wasn't really a "party," good food and good company meant a great time. On the other hand, the lounge opening I attended suffered quite a bit because there wasn't a lot of good food - portions were small and quality mediocre. The event could have been epic with more munchies.

Promoters and planners take note. Dancing up a storm does require fuel, after all!


Friends

(Sorry if this is starting to sound like Sesame Street.) Rounding out my "f" themed post, I have to shout out my friends and all friends the world over! Good company really does enhance a meal like no fine wine or exotic spice ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment